February 11, 2021
You must know that you are not the only ones listening to this trial. We are all listening. That means people in this country and all around the world. We are listening and we are watching and many of us, like some of you, are tearing up, our hearts are racing, our bodies are tensing up and our emotions are spilling out.
The House presenters are clear and effective. Yes, they are emotional but even if they spoke in monotones, what they said would be emotional. The videos are emotional. The truth is emotional. The evidence, the facts, the importance of the events of January 6, 2021 are emotional. There is a direct line from months of tweets, speeches, actions and inactions from the former president of the United States to the events of that day. What happened was an attempt to overthrow an election and our democracy. Donald Trump wanted that to happen. You know he did. The court suits were over. The votes had been counted and certified by states and now was the day for you all to demonstrate how the peaceful transfer of power works in this country. Some of you were still trying to deny this. You know who you are and so do we.
I have questions and here are some of them:
1) Why are some of you still saying you don’t “think” this trial is Constitutional? It’s already been determined that it is, by a vote in the Senate.
2) Why did you, Senator Graham, say that former President Trump’s speech is not criminal? You KNOW that this trial is NOT a criminal trial?
3) How many of you have said, out loud, that Joe Biden and Kamala Harris are the president and vice-president of the United States and the election was valid and fair. What would have happened if you told your supporters that much sooner?
4) Why has Mr. Trump not been able to “I lost, fair and square”? Why do you think he invited his supporters to come to Washington on January 6, 2021 at the exact time the final certification was to occur? Why did he not come out immediately to say STOP.
As Senator Angus King said, “he had no problem saying Stop the Steal (a lie) but a lot of difficulty saying, “Stop the invasion of the Congress”?
5) If you do not vote to impeach, what message does that send to those who said, “The President Invited us”? Do you really think that the criminal charges against many of them will be enough to end the dangers to our country?
6) Do you really, in your hearts and in your minds, think the Commander in Chief had no responsibility for this horrible event or did not try to stop it immediately? We, the viewing and listening public, can’t see you or hear you but there are reports and artists’ drawing of what you are doing. We know that some of you are pretending not to listen, not watching the videos and suddenly finding papers to sort. It’s been reported that some of you (Cruz, Graham and Hawley) left the room. Did you all need the restroom at the same time, are you feeling remorse or are you calling Trump for directions?
I try very hard to be respectful, but I’m old enough to be Senator Josh Hawley’s mother, so I can say to him, Take your damn feet off the furniture!